HAMMERSON GIVES BACK FOR COMMUNITY DAY 2018
15 Jun 2018
282 Hammerson employees on the 7 June 2018 across UK and Ireland took time out to give… #PositivePlacesPositiveImpact #Communityday2018
Hammerson has been running annual Community Day’s since 2008, a day of giving back in which employees get out of the office to volunteer in their communities.
Community Day is a unique opportunity for us to take action on our positive places values, and give back to the communities where we live and work to make a real impact. This year, Community Day took place during National Volunteering week, and by working with local organisations, charities and community groups, Hammerson celebrated volunteering in all its diversity.
Seventeen different community projects were supported across four themes:
- Community amenities and wellbeing
- Sustainability and environment
- Local enterprise
- Education and skills development.
All offices and shopping centre teams took the opportunity to work on projects they cared about, ranging from, but not limited to:
- Sporting festivals for school children
- Biodiversity projects for adults with learning disabilities
- Cleaning up river beds and painting over graffiti
- Enterprise and regeneration challenges with school children
- Creating sensory gardens for vulnerable individuals in towns
- Painting murals, creating flower beds and paving
- Teaching DIY to local beaver groups
- Gardening for hospices
- Raising aspirations and confidence for vulnerable women, by working on their skill development to get them back into employment
Through volunteering, employees contributed to 1,984 volunteer hours, making a real impact. Hammerson does not limit its community engagement to just one day, our employees are given three paid volunteering days a year. It puts time and money into causes it cares about all year long.
This year’s Community Day served as a powerful reminder that it is up to each of us to take responsibility for delivering our positive places values across those four themes, and to recognise that through volunteering, we can make an invaluable and diverse contribution to society. We are proud of the way our employees continuously step up to answer that call, and we are excited to continue to build lasting relationships with local organisations, charities and community groups to create a legacy of giving back that Hammerson started 10-years ago.